Alright, that syntax change was painful but now everything seems to have
calmed down. We thank everyone for sticking with us and helping file issues
as necessary. It seems most people have done the syntax update and now we’re
moving on. In this release we are back to our usual and focused on feature
updates. There are changes, but we can once again be deprecating any of our
changes so that’s much easier on users.
So I decided to dig deeper. Basically the standard crand() is not that good. So instead I searched for the fastest Mersenne Twister there is. I downloaded the latest code and compiled it in the fastest way for my architecture.
And after all that trouble we got the performance down to 18 seconds. Still slower that Julia‘s 16 seconds.
$ time ./eulerfast
Euler : 2.71824
Probably, we could do a bit better with more tweaks, and probably exceed Julia‘s performance with some effort. But at that point, I got tired of pushing this further. The thing I love about Julia is how well it is engineered and hassle free. It is quite phenomenal the performance you get out of it, with so little effort. And for basic technical computing things, like random number generation, you don’t have to dig hard for a better library. The “batteries included” choices in the Julia‘s standard library are pretty good.
it is quite nice though that you can rely on the quality of Base for numerics.